Push button strangeness?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Mar 12 22:06:08 EDT 2008

Recently, Bruce A. Pokras wrote:

> I have never heard anyone talk about this, but it seems very strange.
> A Push Button under Mac OS X looks like an Aqua button, but when I
> add color to the button it becomes a Square Button. What gives???

Rev doesn't offer the ability to colorize or otherwise skin any system-drawn
(or system emulated) controls.  Attempting to apply any appearance changes
to a button results in the behavior you describe, as the stock buttons are
the only objects that can be customized.  To get custom buttons, you can
either 1) create your own button state images and assign them to buttons as
icons (in the docs, see the icon, hiliteIcon, hoverIcon, etc properties), or
2) create and script your own controls using images and/or graphics.

(I'm hoping to demo a solution based on the latter at the upcoming RevLive
Conference in Las Vegas.)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director