Selection issues: on selectedobjectchanged

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon Mar 3 11:27:48 EST 2008

I want a user to be able to select a group inside a group and move it around
/ resize it. I used to do this with mousedown handlers, but want to change
to using the normal selection stuff that the IDE uses, so I have replaced
much of the old functionality by trapping for the "on selectedobjectchanged"
message.

Not exactly a bug but an issue with how you can use this event to select a
group to be moved around. The problem I have is that having used a script to
select the group - I find that the user can drag the group around as
expected. Doing so outside of the group with another script works fine, but
doing so within the group (with an "on selectedobjectchanged" handler for
instance), results in the originally targeted object not being able to be
used for dragging.

What I need to be able to do is the same thing as if the user typed "select
group 1" from the message box, yu dont gt the same effect from within a "on
selectedobjectchanged" handler in the group. I am not sure what to do - is
it a focus issue? What is going on to make this difference. In both cases
the group looks selected, but in the externally scripted case the behaviour
is different.

I've created a test stack for this issue as it is a little difficult to
explain - type this into the message box

go to stack url "
> http://handlers.rev-co.de/attachment/wiki/selectedObjectChanged/selectedobjectchanged.rev?format=raw
> "

I'm documenting this on the wiki here: