Parallels mystery

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 19:32:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> I have an app that plays movies, and today I'm doing my Windows testing via
> Parallels (when doing a lot of debugging its shared folders are a godsend).
>
> This app doesn't use controllers (I know, I know, we'll be changing that
> soon, but there's a lot of legacy stuff in this), using "play videoclip"
> instead.
>
> Here's the mystery:
>
> If I mount the volume to a labeled drive (e.g., "Z:"), then it works well
> like this:
>
>  play videoclip "Z:/Folder/file.mov" at 300,300
>
> But if I use one of Parallels shared folders, the path is different and it
> doesn't play:
>
>  play videoclip "//.PSF/Folder/file.mov" at 300,300
>
> The result says "could not open movie file".
>
> I'm not sure what the trouble is, since everything else in the program
> works, and there's a lot of stuff happening with paths to multiple stack
> files, libraries, etc.
>
> Why does QT choke on .PSF?  Is there a workaround I can do in script, or
> must we avoid drives networked in that fashion?

Is the problem with Rev or QT? Can you play the movie in QT Player and
can you open a text file form the .PSF folder?

This is a just a wild guess, but what happens if you convert the file
name using shortFilePath() or longFilePath()?
This might just re-arrange it in some way so that Rev/QT can work it out.

Cheers,
Sarah