Manipulating Raw Picture Data

Mark Greenberg markgreenberg at cox.net
Wed Jun 25 19:29:33 EDT 2008

I have an image where different regions consist of known colors. I
would like to fill a region with color at runtime as a sort of
highlight. The situation does not lend itself to using separate
transparent png images. I have been using the floodfill bucket tool
to achieve this, but it is slow and doesn't work right when I compile
to standalone.

I've read various threads on manipulating the raw picture data and
seen a couple of stacks like that. It seems a bit beyond my skills as
a casual programmer, but I may need to give it a try. Two questions:
would sampling every pixel in a 600x400 image and possibly changing
the pixel's color be fast enough to seem like a highlight to the
user? and how would I go about doing that?

Thanks in Advance,

	Mark Greenberg