copying icons from other apple programs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 25 14:33:00 EDT 2008

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> william humphrey wrote:
>> Thanks -- I don't think I have to worry about copyright infringement for my
>> personal use program. It is interesting to think about, one more
>> problem developer's have -- you would think Apple would offer lots of stuff
>> like that to keep the look and feel similar.
>
> They do, and if I remember right, the "find" box and icon that is in
> every Finder window is part of the dev tools which any developer can use
> in any program. So I don't see a problem with using that particular icon.

There may be a fine point here.  I'm no attorney, and I haven't been a
paying member of ADC in many years so I don't know the fine print, but
as someone who's had an Apple exec brag to him that the company has more
lawyers than engineers, I have to wonder:

Are developers allowed to physically copy the icon image, or is it
merely allowable to render the icon my making the API call provided?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal