copying icons from other apple programs

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 13:00:57 EDT 2008

Mark Schonewille wrote:

"Copying icons from other programmes violates copyright, even if it is from Apple."

which is perfectly correct unless they are open source programs.

I have a feeling that René Micout's posting was slightly tangential; but it did make me go and dig out Pixie - not all that special frankly - and

find the Apple Icon Composer program:

/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.app

which means that you can either design your own icons relatively easily or "twiddle around" with other people's icons until your conscience feels things are sufficiently different for you to say (Lie ???????) that you haven't pinched somebody else's work. By the time you havetwiddled around with somebody else's icon you could have just as well spent the time making your own one !!!

Oh, bye-the-bye; there's a jolly nice Magnifying glass with picture icon up for grabs here:

http://www.clazh.com/crystal-superb-beautiful-open-source-icons/

also:

http://www.openwebgraphics.com/iconpacks

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.