Taking Control: Cross Platform ?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Jun 21 12:31:44 EDT 2008

> 1. How to pass key-downs to other programs simultaneously to their being
> recognised by RR using RR alone - is this possible ?

Not as far as I know... the only things we can do using RR alone is to
manipulate sockets, and transmitting keystrokes requires communicating
something totally different to the other application. This is why you need
to use an OS-level "go-between" technology that can do it for you
(AppleScript, VB Script, externals, etc.).

> 2. Suppose I am running a RR standalone and a word-processor (e.g. Open Office
> Org) and a web-browser (e.g. FireFox) [Yup, deliberately chose open source
> examples]; how do I ensure that key-downs are trapped by the RR standalone and
> the word-processor and not by the web-browser ???

You'd need to put into place some kind of process that watched for generic
keystrokes and checked to see what the frontmost app is. I'm not sure how
easy this will be as I'm thinking you'd need somehting pretty low-level to
do this.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com