Interface question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 11 19:08:07 EDT 2008

I'm wondering how people would do this.

I have two print layouts, "detail" and "list", and the user needs to be
able to print data using the layout of their choice. I can think of
three ways to allow this:

1. Have two Print menu items in the File menu, like this:

    Print Detail View
    Print List View

2. I could make a submenu from the Print menu item (but I don't think
I've ever seen this done before):

    Print -> Detail View
             List View

3. Or I could put an option in the Preferences and Print would use
whichever option was selected there. But this doesn't sound very
intuitive to me, and forces the user to go to Prefs to change it each time.

How would you present this, and did I miss any options?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com