where does "put URL.." stores temp data

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 18:54:55 EDT 2008

On 10 Jun 2008, at 11:52, runrev260805 at m-r-d.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i´ve created a little app for a customer. This app runs under
> windows xp and downloads a specific file, which is about 30 MB in
> size, from a ftp server and stores it in a folder, which the user
> can define.
>
> It works here without problems. But my customer, who has restricted
> user access on his machine, reports that after downloading the file
> successfully, he cannot find it in the defined folder. The log field
> (using libURLSetLogField) shows that the download was successfull.
> The customer has full access to the folder, he defined as target
> download folder. He also has full access to the folder, where my app
> is installed. So that could not be the problem.
>
> Where do Revapps store big files temporally, when downloaded by "put
> url"?
>
> Or are they stored completely in memory?

They're stored in memory. (You can use libUrlDownloadToFile if you
want to write directly to a file.)

In addition to Sarah's comment...

I'm guessing from the heading that you're using something like this:

put url "ftp://etc.etc" into url "binfile:etc.etc"

It might be better to split this into two stages, and check for errors
after each stage:

put url "ftp://etc.etc" into tData
put the result into tRes
if tRes is not empty then
   answer "Download error: " & tRes ## or some other procedure
else
    put tData into url "binfile:etc.etc"
   put the result into tRes
   if tRes is not empty then
      answer  "File error: " & tRes ## or some other procedure
   end if
end if

Cheers
Dave