HyperCard Comes Back From the Dead to the Web (Barry Barber)

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 09:56:43 EDT 2008

I've been commenting on TS for a few days in various places, and talking to
the dev team on and off, so I can't remember if I've posted this stuff here
yet or not.

1) They call it beta.  It's really pre-alpha for doing serious work with it,
i.e. building Ajax-based stacks.  What they wanted to beta was the importing
and deploying of HC stacks (except those using XCMD's and XFCN's).  There
are no paint tools yet.  The script interpreter needs a bit of work.  The
development interface is a bit clunky.  Stack "A" can't do anything to stack
"B", etc.
2) The documentation doesn't exist yet.
3) There are various other issues that are just starting to become known
because they're starting to get people using it.
4) The fact that it's like Bungee Labs in that it's all on the web is both
good and bad.  Much of it needs to be optimized to load into your machine
instead of off the web because the responsiveness isn't there yet.

All of that said, it's an interesting project that I'll be following closely
and trying to play with every day, at least a little.