How to intercept iconifyStack (OS X)

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:54:03 EDT 2008

>> I want to program a custom effect when the iconify button is clicked,
>> like iTunes where you can have it going to a mini window instead of
>> down into the Dock. I've programmed it all and it works fine, showing
>> the mini window and hiding the usual window. The problem is that I
>> can't stop the original window moving down into the Dock first, THEN
>> my script happens. It hides the original window which removes it from
>> the Dock.
>
> Hi Sarah,
>
> Don't you want to handle a click on the zoom (green +) button rather than
> the minimize button? That's what iTunes uses to switch to the mini window.
> When I checked the message watcher while clicking the zoom button, the
> cREVgeometryCache and the cREVGeometry properties get set, then resizeStack
> and moveStack messages are sent. I don't know whether you can prevent the
> automatic zoom behavior by intercepting them, however.

Thanks Devin, I guess I do need to check for the green button, but as
there was already a system message for the orange button I thought
that would be easier. However I'll have a play around with the
messages and properties you suggest and see what I can do.

Luis's suggestion made me laugh, but I'm not sure that I want to
irritate everyone like that. However I'm quite sure it would work as a
distraction :-)

Cheers,
Sarah