Shock: strange unheard of message path behaviour???

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Thu Jul 31 07:35:40 EDT 2008

This is a subtle but basic question about how referencing  a control works
in Revolution. Maybe I've got something obvious wrong but i can't figure...

Take this simple dummy handler as an example:

getprop image_Name
>     put the short name of the target into imageName
>     return the name of image imageName
> end image_Name

OK - it does nothig usefull, but its just an example. As it references an
image by its *short* name, and therefore should only work when it is within
the same stack as the image. For instance if the images name in question is
"Test Image" then:

on mouseUp
>     put the name of image "Test Image"
> end mouseUp

would work in a button within the same stack as the image, but would fail in
a button in a different stack. So far so good. The surprise I got was with
when I put the following script on in a button in a different stack from the
image:

on mouseUp
>     put the image_Name of image 1 of stack "Image"
> end mouseUp
>
> getprop image_Name
>     put the short id of the target into imageObjectID
>     return the name of image id imageObjectID
> end image_Name

It works??? This is a blank fresh stack. Not a library. The image is also in
a fresh stack called "Image" with a single image on it. There is nothing
fishy going on that I can tell. It works with short ids, or with the scripts
moved around to the card script for instance.

Something strange is going on with the message paths here - can anyone
elaborate?