Stacks inside OSX Package

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Jul 14 02:28:14 EDT 2008

>Whilst this is certainly true, I just did a quick test with Time Machine by
>adding a small text file inside an App package, and whilst the  App Created
>and Modified dates did not change, Time Machine did recognise that the
>package contents had changed and backed up the extra file. What I don't know
>is whether Time Machine backed up the entire App, or just the contents that
>changed.

In my case I use FoldersSynchroniser for bootable image backup; Time
Machine is only sometimes useful to me. I made the assumption that
FS would know about changes in packages and was wrong.

>***I ASSUME*** Apple is smart enough to treat an App just like any other
>folder and back up only the *FILES* that have changed, not entire folders.
>***END ASSUMPTION***
>
>I raise this because of what I've read on the net about what is termed 'Time
>Machine incompatible apps'. The classic example given is Eudora which I
>understand saves all it's e-mails in one DB file.

This is just not true. Eudora has always  had separate files for each
mailbox in classic mbox format. Much loved by Eudora users because
each mailbox is in plain text and easily parsed for archiving.

  Recent problems with Eudora in Leopard were solved by going back to
the old separate style TOC files for each mailbox, as opposed to
using resource forks.
--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o