Stacks inside OSX Package

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 23:52:43 EDT 2008

>> Forgot to mention, that Apple is not smart enough to look inside an App
> package when in Time Machine. This makes back tracking to an earlier version
> of your App based on some internal /Contents/Resource/ change virtually
> useless. You can't tell from the outside because the Create and Modification
> Dates are always the same, so you need to first restore, then look inside:-(

I just tested this by putting a random file inside an application
bundle and then telling Time Machine to back up. I opened the bundle
in Finder first, selected a file inside the bundle, then went into
Time Machine. With the bundle already open, I WAS able to check the
dates on individual files inside the bundle and I could see that only
my newly added file had been added to the backup - the other files in
the bundle that had not changed, were not changed in the recent
backups.

So Apple is smart enough, but only if you demonstrate first that you
are smart enough to be allowed to look around inside an app bundle :-)

Cheers,
Sarah