The mystery of inks

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 10:32:22 EDT 2008

I am struggling to understand and use inks (Rev 2.9)

I have no idea how these things work, but what I want to achieve is
this:

I have a jpg image of a human in swim-wear.  The background was
originally a separate layer in Photoshop, and is a sort of grey green
swirlyness.  I mention this because it could be changed to something
else if it would help achieve my goal.  I want to have a primary
colour show through the human figure but not the background.  So by
changing an underlying grc fill, the figure should switch from blue
to yellow, to green, etc.  I don't mind the colour of the swimwear
changing, but the skin should take as much of the underlying colour
as possible.

I made a little test stack which looped through all the ink effects
and applied them to my image which was overlying a grc filled yellow.

First thing is that I was surprised how many inks made no apparent
difference to the image (7), made the image black (5), or disappear
completely (7) - irrespective of whether areas of the image t overlay
the grc or not.  Why is that?

Second thing is that three effects stood out as close to what I
want.  They were BlendMultiply, BlendDarken and SrcAnd.  Are there
any significant technical differences between these, or between their
effects on Windows vs Mac? Anywhere I can read up in them?  I see
that SrCAnd is described as a "legacy"...... some legacies are good :-))

Finally, if I did change the jpg background to be transparent, or
solid colour, or black or something, is there an ink effect which
would show solid colour through the human part only?  I did try to
understand the Wikipedia article on alpha channels, but my mind went
matte and dodged.  Or burned, I forget which.

Thanks,

David Glasgow