[OT] Validating Email Addresses...

Jim Carwardine jim at oyfconsulting.com
Tue Jan 29 10:31:32 EST 2008

Thanks, Eric... That is certainly better than what I was considering and
certainly quicker than asking the downloader to wait for the email to
arrive... Jim

on 1/29/08 11:09 AM, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Here is a function from Ken, the regex king :-)

> --| FUNCTION: isEmail
> --|
> --| Author:   Ken Ray
> --| Version:  1.0
> --| Created:  Unknown
> --| Requires: --
> --|
> --| Determines if the container passed to it in <what> contains a
> valid email address.
> --| Note that although it supports periods in user addresses
> (ken.ray at test.com),
> --| multiple subdomains (kenray at test.co.uk), and new domains with
> more than two
> --| characters (.info, .museum, etc.), it does not support direct IP
> addresses.
> --|   Supports:
> --|     periods in user address (ken.ray at test.com)
> --|     multiple subdomains (kenray at test.co.uk)
> --|     new domains with more than 2 characters (.info, .museum, etc.)
> --|     IP addresses (with or without port numbers)
> --|
> --| Returns true or false.
> function isEmail pWhat
>    put matchtext(pWhat,"^[A-z0-9_\-\.]+[@][A-z0-9_\-]+([.][A-z0-9_\-]
> +)+[A-z]$") into tNotIP
>    put matchtext(pWhat,"^(1*\d{1,2}|2[0-4]\d|25[0-5])\.(1*\d{1,2}|2
> [0-4]\d|25[0-5])\.(1*\d{1,2}|2[0-4]\d|25[0-5])\.(1*\d{1,2}|2[0-4]\d|25
> [0-5])(:\d{1,5})*$") into tIsIP
>    return (tIsIP or tNotIP)
> end isEmail
>

> Le 29 janv. 08 à 15:28, Jim Carwardine a écrit :
>
>> Hi Folks... I offer some free downloads on my web site...
>>
>> (a web site I will be recreating using Rev - so I feel some legitimacy
>> asking the question on this list - as I will need to do something
>> in Rev
>> ultimately)
>>
>> ... And I'm asking for some contact information from the downloader
>> (fair
>> trade I feel).  I'm getting a lot of garbage being offered by
>> people who
>> want a look but don't want to give their info.
>>
>> Screening for legitimate email addresses is done on many web sites
>> and I
>> understand:
>>
>> 1. Checking for the @ sign - a very weak edit.
>> 2. Sending the download link by email to the downloader's email
>> address -
>> pretty strong edit.
>>
>> What I see some web sites do is legitimize the email address on the
>> spot and
>> immediately deny access if the email is illegitimate.  How is this
>> done?
>>
>> Any other great ideas about screening email addresses?
>>
>> Thanks... Jim
>>
>> Jim Carwardine,
>> President & CEO
>> OYF Consulting
>> Ph. 902.823.2339 / 866.601.2339
>> Fx. 902.823-2139
>> <www.StrategicDoing.com>
>
> Best regards from Paris,
> [...]

Jim Carwardine,
President & CEO
OYF Consulting
Ph. 902.823.2339 / 866.601.2339
Fx. 902.823-2139
<www.StrategicDoing.com>

StrategicDoing: Execution depends on employees.
Strategic Partner with HiringSmart Canada Ltd.