Event-triggered snapshot-logging to quicktime movies

Kresten Bjerg Kresten.Bjerg at psy.ku.dk
Tue Jan 29 10:25:33 EST 2008

Hi revolutionaries
I am developing a rev prototype for a laptop multimedia diary, also to serve as vehicle in interfacing long-distance telecontacts- with verbal and visual desktop-sharing.(www.phenomenalog.dk)
But I am faced with the slowness in reviewing  ( for myself - and possibly also in above type telecontacts) diary-events evolving days before.
Phase 1:  I therefore need a simplest possible (cross platform standalones operative) handler, which automatically, on new card in diary, , starts to assemble screen-snapshots, every time a return, or an effective mouseclick is released by the user. The snapshots shall - at once, - or just afterwards , when a new daycard is created- , be concocted as a quicktime movie,-  a weekday-date-labeled quicktime-file, saved in a growing weekfolders in monthfolders in year-folder structure.
I guess such needs are not new, so probably suitable prototype-handlers for such purpose exist. But the program now going to contain such handler is and wil remain freeware.

Phase 2 in this, ( but let not this postpone solving the first phase) will require an optional extension of the above, allso to accumulate /interpolate - into the diary sequence - screensnapshots of  other event on the desktop, when the diary window is hidden: folders, files and pages openened including major steps in mails, Internet-browsing, - enabling users  to spy,  retrospectively, on their own navigation through previous days (and earlier telecontacts).
Look at this as enabling and empowering citizens to manifest their self-documentary accountability (for the non-paranoid), See "Empowering Citizen Self-documentation: Re-inventing the diary" at the above-mentioned site.
P.S. I am aware of the nice commercial "ScreenSteps" application, which contains lots of beautiful features.But we need am open-source freeware solution.
Looking forward to responses to this, one way or another, also mail-discussionwise.
Kresten Bjerg (www.Psy.ku.dk/bjerg)