check for a CD

Derek Bump runrev at dreamscapesoftware.com
Fri Jan 25 12:25:31 EST 2008

FlexibleLearning at aol.com wrote:
> Well done Derek!
>
> I can confirm it works on VISTA. Looks very similar  to the shell solution by
> Ken back in Dec 2004 'GetCDName'. Using shell is not a  fast solution (takes
> about 0.27 seconds per drive and 1.27 for drive A:). A  built-in Rev solution
> may not be very much quicker, however, and depend on what  'instant feedback'
> calls the engine can make to the OS. I mention speed only  because I need this
> on-the-fly within a mouseMove handler to verify text-based  hyperLinks; not
> an issue for a one-off test in other situations, of  course.

Thank you, but I can't take all the credit.  I did get the function from
Ken (or someone else... I can't remember) and I incorporated it into one
of my programs which polls the system every 10 seconds to see if a
target disk is inserted.

I do agree that a more native solution would be nice.  I don't like
using shell scripts as there is never any guarantee that they will work
on all systems.

But I am happy to know that it works on Vista... the program I'm working
on will probably be for Windows 2000, XP and Vista.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com