Rev and USB?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Wed Jan 23 05:09:50 EST 2008

Thanks Ian for the reply. I had never heard of GPSBabel but I'm
looking at it now- it looks like the way to go, provided I can find
the manufacturer as you suggest.

To answer your question, the device is an 'own-label' device sold by
a mainly French sports chain, Decathlon - they call it a 'Keymaze
300', and it's made in Taiwan (not mainland China, surprisingly). I
imagine it is a re-branding and the device (certainly its processor)
will appear under other names elsewhere, but I have not yet done the
research to pin this down. Note that this is not a full-blown GPS
device in that one can't import waypoints into it so as to plan a
route - it's what's called a 'training' device, which means that it
records a route as you travel on it and then allows you to observe or
extract the routing info at the end of the journey. Their wonderful
trick (on the PC software) is to allow export of .kml files which can
be fed directly into Google Earth in order to display your route.
Google have put the .kml format into the public domain (it's a kind
of xml) so there is a lot of potential there. My project would be
related to existing geography-teaching applications... anyway I have
now told you more than you want to know.

Thanks again for the intro to GPSBabel. I see I have a lot of work to
do. Maybe the whole thing will crash and burn, but we'll see.

Graham