Hierarchical Menus

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Jan 20 19:20:02 EST 2008

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:39:39 -0800, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> The best way to make the actual controls you really need is to make
> them from scratch -- then they can do anything you want. And it's not
> as hard as you might think. All a combobox is - is a popupMenu
> coupled with a field in a group and some logic.
>
> I ran into the same stumbling block a couple of years ago, just
> before the last Revcon (I miss you guys) and then attended a
> performance by the amazing Ken Ray, who showed how to 'think out of
> the box' when it comes to making controls.

Thanks for the kind words, Stephen! In fact I ran into the same issue
and merged a field with an option button in a group and made my own
"combobox"... lets me put checkboxes next to items, full formatting on
the field, etc.

> I wish you could see his
> demonstration online - he's probably saving it and more for the
> upcoming conference in Las Vegas.

I may end up doing a voiceover and putting it up on my site; as to Las
Vegas, you'll have to just wait and see... ;-)

> I was quite inspired to come up
> with my own solution, even before I left the conference that week!
>
> http://houseofcubes.com/rev/multiBOX.png
>
> my only graphics, the button, is just a screenshot of the combobox
> button and stretched out and a round rectangle and the rest are stock
> fields, and an invisible button.
> there are three of these, side by side, in the application.

Nicely done, Stephen!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com