Many Cards Versus One Card and a List Field

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 04:14:49 EST 2008

"Does rev offer a table object?"

Yes, theoretically, you can drag and drop table fields onto a card, but the
general opinion here seems to have been to stay away from them.  Even could
you do it, you're still storing 10s of thousands of records in a text file,
its just a rather inaccessible one.

I considered using an ordinary field on a card for tab delimited storage.  But
that implies writing the reports in Rev because the data in the card field is
not accessible from other programs.   Once you've decided to use a text file
of any sort for storage, and to awk that file, it has to be external.  Well,
you could put to it from a card field and then awk it.  Is there any
advantage to that?  Be nice to know if people think there is.

I will move from an external text file to an sqlite file as soon as 2.9 is
released in final form and has an sqlite driver.

No sort of expert - well you all know that - just trying to find a logical way
through the problem, so if this is all wrong, it would be great to be given
some guidance.

Peter