Many Cards Versus One Card and a List Field

Randall Lee Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Tue Jan 15 03:54:19 EST 2008

Does rev offer a table object?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Peter Alcibiades" <palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk>
To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
Sent: 1/15/2008 12:11 AM
Subject: Many Cards Versus One Card and a List Field

Maybe I don't understand the question (does happen!) but isn't the answer
something like this.

1)  Once data storage gets serious, more than a few thousand records, Rev
alone is not what to do it in.  If you want to do the rest of the app in Rev,
you have to add a real database.  This means sqlite, mysql (if you need multi
user and networked), Valentina, whatever.

The issue is not one card versus many, the issue is tab delimited fields
versus real databases.

2)  If data storage retrieval and reports is the primary or only need, its
incredibly much quicker to do that sort of thing to some level in Filemaker,
but it may not come for your OS and has other limitations.  But you do get
point and click relational database and report construction.

This is a real issue about Rev + sqlite, but its also an issue about
alternatives to Rev + sqlite.

3)  Even if you can live with tab delimited files for storage, getting reports
out of them in Rev is not much fun  So you have to add Quartam.  Or Perl or
Awk.  This too is much easier and quicker in FM.  But the same comment applies
to the alternatives to Rev.

Is there a gui package  (except the database packages with end user
pretensions like FM) that does data storage and retrieval and reporting much
better than Rev?  Most seem to be a lot worse.  Python for instance, I think
you have to use a real database for just about any storage.  Nothing is
perfect.

This is my own case:  15-20k records of sales during the fiscal year.  I
accumulate them (with some trepidation) into an external tab delimited text
file.  Then we need to go through and extract sales by product by month for
some 200+ items.  After a prolonged meditation on switch, if and repeat, and
the prospect of creating a 200 x 12 matrix of fields with each one
individually named and scripted, I broke out "Effective Awk Programming".

Its like reaching for a plane, after trying to get a smooth finish with a
chisel.  But chisels have their uses too, and are often the right tool for
the job.  Don't try doing a mortise with a plane!

Well, please correct if this is not right.

Peter