OT: MacBook randomly shuts down..

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Jan 4 04:12:25 EST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:51:25 +1000, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008 5:34 PM, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
>> My MacBook...about a year old or so, just randomly shuts down.
>> Started about
>> a month ago, but I don't use it more than a couple of times a month. I'm
>> pretty sure it knows I hate it-- and that's why it's misbehaving. So, I
>> Googled "MacBook shuts off" and there's a huge amount of people out there
>> this is happening to. I'll go by an Apple store tomorrow and see if they
>> have any suggestions..but thought I would check here, as many of you
>> probably have MacBooks and may have gone through this.
>
> Hi Chipp,
>
> I'm surprised you didn't have this happening long ago, as it was a big
> thing for MacBooks at one stage. It was an issue with the temperature
> sensors. They are designed to shutdown the MacBook when the
> temperature gets too high, but there was a bug in the programming so
> they were shutting down randomly. At first it was thought to require a
> hardware fix, but after that, a firmware solution was released. Check
> for firmware updates and that should solve the problem.

Thanks, Sarah! Based on your email, I tracked down the SMC Firmware
Update for my MacBook Pro
(http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookpro15inchsmcfirmwareupdate.html)...
hopefully that will fix it and I can remove smcFanControl!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/