RunRev lack of rs232 Com Ports !

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu Feb 28 13:24:51 EST 2008

I wouldn't hold my breath for that many RS232 ports...

may I ask why you need so many INDIVIDUAL ports on the computer side?

The reason I ask is that there might be a way around this..
This sounds like a data collection task...

if it doesn't have to be simultanious... consider software controlled
external switching in hardware;
port 1 has the data transfer as a standard port, port 2 controls the
switching of port 1. Then one could put any number of devices on the
line.....

I did this with a bunch of printers for A&M tape copy in 1990. We
needed multipe tape box jcards made from pin feed paper... so I got a
bunch of serial to parallel buffer boxes, one per printer, and
devised a switching box that actually fed 6 the printer buffers off
of the single serial port on a Mac SE. as well as the machine control
of 135 cassette decks.  This allowed us to do nice 'letter' quality
printing at "high speed" with cheap office printers. (We went through
about 30) while using the Mac SE for control of everything.

I used simple TTL and a serial controller chip from Cybernetic Micro Systems.
http://www.controlchips.com/cy233.htm

Cybernetic makes many incredible devices and proto boards to hook up
computers to the physical world.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o