Socket Accept/Connection Question/Problem

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Thu Feb 28 13:13:35 EST 2008

On 28 Feb 2008, at 17:50, Jim Ault wrote:

> On 2/28/08 8:35 AM, "Dave" <dave at looktowindward.com> wrote:

>>> FWIW, I'm finding the whole "state of sockets" to be a bit of a
>>> conundrum as well. In my case, the client is not Rev, and it does
>>> indicate once a socket connection is made. However, Rev is acting
>>> as the server, and it seems hit or miss on determining if the
>>> client has disconnected.
>>
>> Great. It seems like a lot of RunRev, just bearly working if you know
>> *exactly* what to do and with no documentation and no support from
>> RunRev themselves, the whole experience one of frustration and suck-
>> it-and-see mentality.
>
> Actually, sockets are controlled by the operating system, so there
> are wide
> variations, even within XP.  Firewall hardware and software,
> routers, hubs,
> ISP protocols, and other device performance.

I am only using Mac OS X at the moment.

> To build a solid networking app you need to learn a lot about the
> world of
> protocols and idiosyncrasies, regardless of the programming language.

Well, I trying to use RunRev, I can communicate using other languages
ok. It's really the lack of any decent documentation or a robust
sample app that shows what you need to tweak in order to make it work
in the real world.

> Rev has the tools and functions to build this, but you have to tune
> it to
> your equipment and configurations.

That's what I mean, there is no documentation that I can find that
shows how to do this. I've found some sample code that was useful to
get going, but it's not well documented and it isn't really "real-life".

> tip:  If your are using UDP and MacOSX, and testing for max packet
> size your
> equipment will allow, be sure to
> go to system prefences:network:ethernet
> change from automatic to manual
> then set your max packet size to jumbo vs 1500 default
>
> Otherwise, OSX will receive larger packets but not pass them to
> your Rev
> app.  This will be a silent failure and undertectable without an
> ACKNOWLEDGE
> loop that you would build.

I am sending very small packets at the moment, maybe 30 characters
max. If and when I get this bit working it will send larger packets,
but the maximum will still be less that 2K.

> By the way, I routinely build an ACK loop between my apps since
> networks are
> good at providing surprises.

Not much help here, I can't do an NAK because the server is not
supposed to respond to a Client that isn't in the "Allowed" list.

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave