concerning 2.9 as "free"

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 15:52:25 EST 2008

Tying an install to one machine is like the chained
libraries of the middle-ages:

I do most of my progging upstairs on my G4; then pop
it on a nifty little USB external box that contains a
laptop HD and run downstairs.

Inevitably when I bung the stack on the Ubuntu
machines I use for Content delivery with the 6 year
olds everything is crap.

So, eschewing my love of running up and down 3 flights
of stairs every time I want to tweak a few lines of
code (which I could do on the Linux boxes but frankly
don't like as Gnome makes RR 2.2 go "a bit funny") or
twiddle around with an image: I cross the room to my
venerable G3 slot-loader (that usually functions for
playing EFL DVDs to the tinies and EFL listening
material to the adult students) and use "the other
copy" of my licensed version of Dreamcard there. The
G3 can also be linked via an overly long Ethernet
cable to the rubbish upstairs (try it sometime with 3
switches at easy stages pumping the signals all over
the building!) which is quite useful from time to
time: like pulling stacks downstairs while proctoring
an exam!

Needless to say it is only the house boggart who uses
Dreamcard upstairs while I'm downstairs: by the
boggart does far worse things with all my computers
continually: it being extremely dangerous to live and
work in a house where we believe in outmoded
fairy-tale figures :) But how else one accounts for
some of the things that happen on my computers I just
don't know.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.