jrvalent at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 26 11:41:14 EST 2008
>> Any way to fix this? Thanks.
> One thing you might try/consider... If you're referencing objects across
> multiple stacks, or just running into general object reference issues, try
> to avoid manually building object references, and use the object's long id.
> In my experience, I've found the engine can get confused (or even start
> generating gibberish) if you reference objects using a description that you
> build yourself (ie fld "whichField" of cd "whichCard" of stack
> "whichStack"). In my case, the situations were very complex and difficult
> to reproduce -- once I started using long id references, the script errors I
> was getting went away.
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
Thank you, Scott, and the others who have given advice on this issue. I am
now for a few days super-busy with other matters, so won't be able to
properly test your suggestions. I _did_ find that explicitly giving every
field reference "card" and "stack" coordinates allowed my scripts to execute
(seemingly) properly. I think the problem might be related to "group"
behavior. But what is odd is that I've been programming with Revolution for
years and don't recall having this problem, even though I've written things
equivalent to what I'm working on now (a dictionary display system). But
perhaps it _is_ different in having so many groups (6 or so) on one card.
More information about the Use-livecode