UI performance and large data set in Table Object

Thierry 00bioarchimed at free.fr
Fri Feb 22 04:14:44 EST 2008

Hi,

>>  Hi Sarah,
>>  That sounds promising, especially reading prior threads on the
>> same custom
>>  property concept.
>
> The data was there already. I actually MOVED it to custom properties
> rather than duplicating the data, so the overhead was no worse than it
> had been and quite acceptable. The stack ended up at about 6 MB. The
> data is not stored forever, it just builds up over 1 - 2 weeks, then
> gets cleared and the process starts again.

I did use the same concept for an old project. During development,
all of a project Datas where stored in a folder on an Intranet site,
to be
shared by multiple computers.

When everything works, and for security, administration and
others reasons I forgot,  I put the contents of a folder in a stack,
no widget, only an empty stack, with no scripts and only customs
properties. One stack contains all the Datas plus Log information plus
extras time Datas,... To choose a project, the user has to choose a
file,
stored wherever he feels on his disk. These stacks could be more than
10 Mb,
storing, text, binary datas, logs, images,....
I did change the extension of these stacks too... so the users could
see their
projects as a one file; they like it.

Another thing to say that choosing this architecture, the development
was short
with almost no debug process !

And if you come from another software planet, customs properties are
only
associative arrays, no more really.

And the last but not the least, it was before 2000, and, at this
time, I got so
many clever and good answers from this list...  :-)

HTH,
Have a nice day,

Thierry