Cgi and Database (stick to standards)

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Fri Feb 15 11:37:16 EST 2008

> I want again repeat one point for SqlLite fans. If db world
> was so simple that SqlLite engine in 300K beats mySQL then
> ask self why mySQL/Oracle/MS SQL/Sybase/DB2/Ingres/ Valentina
> developers bother self developing soooo complex DB
> systems???!!!  May be tasks are not so simple when you start
> move more deeply...

An extremely important thing to keep in mind when choosing a database is how
well they scale. If you are working with a handful of records locally, you
arent going to notice a huge difference between databases.

When you go from a local only to a network database, it is a huge step, and
if your database wasn't designed from the get-go to account for network
issues its likely not going to do it as well as those that do. Likewise,
handling thousands or millions or records, you really notice a difference.

And those are just performance issues, before getting into the general
goodie bag of features :-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President