Inter-Application Communication on Windows

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Fri Feb 15 07:21:36 EST 2008

Hi,

I wonder whether it is because the instances change the schema of the
database or because they do it simultaneously ? Maybe if you implement a
simple locking mechanism it would work ?.. The simplest way, which I
never tried in Rev, but many times in Perl when programming multiuser
shared flat file based solutions is using a semaphore file.

When an instance of app needs to write data to a shared flat file it:
1) checks if semaphore file (an empty file with known name, e.g anything
like "busy.sem", "busy") is present
2) if it is present it waits and returns to 1) in a few milliseconds
otherwise it
3) creates the semaphore file and writes data into the shared file
4) then deletes the semaphore

All the best!
Viktoras