Inter-Application Communication on Windows

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Thu Feb 14 08:30:19 EST 2008

Hi Dave,

in one of my applications I use shell to communicate with sqlite for
data .import and revolution's sqlite to query and modify the same
database. It was never corrupted... Maybe just because .importing and
modification are sequential and do not attempt to modify the same
database in the same time.

I am frequently using an instance of commandline sqlite  and an instance
of sqlitespy for some database tests - it possibly can corrupt the
database, but so far this has never happened.

Accessing the same sqlite database should not make any big troubles
unless both sqlite instances modify the database simultaneously. In this
case you may try implementing some sort of locking mechanism. But then
the solution with file would be simpler.

I did a test with a very very simple sqlite app - it did not corrupt the
database even if many instances of it were running... So you can read,
insert or delete a record in a table with one instance and read it with
another and vice versa... But I guess there are scenarios when the
database can get corrupt.

The zipped folder with both the compiled app (for Windows) and the
source can be downloaded from:
http://ekoinf.net/soft/SQLiteTest.zip

Best wishes
Viktoras