Auto Updates [Was Re: External functions]

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Feb 5 09:40:05 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 3:02 AM, Eric Chatonet wrote:

Thanks for the additional info Eric.

> Setting the version info of the exe itself seems not really doable,
> at least on Vista... Virtualizing is really a pain...

You can get around this if you perform all changes from a command line
executable that has obtained elevated privileges. This is how I'm
installing updates at the moment and virtualization doesn't seem to
come into play here since you can alter files with full rights. So
figuring out how to tweak the version number in the exe is probably
doable.

I may just settle on the full update every time for public releases
though. There are less decisions to make and code to write this way.
Still deciding.

> About auto-check: such a check is done at every launch of the exe
> and it is very fast if all goes well. The application needs many
> files (kept in sub folders: remember our thread about ssleay and
> libeay :-), registered activeX, etc. and depending on the crucial
> status or not of a file offers to download them on-the-fly from the
> Internet or enjoin the user to reinstall the software.
> All information about these files, I told it, is kept in the
> external splash stack.
> We made that because if a file is missing, the exe will not run as
> expected (or not at all) and we don't want to be categorized as bugs
> creators :-)
> Our logs show that using this feature is very rare actually.

Good to know.

> About security features: you'll understand that I don't give too
> much details about this on the list but I'm going to write you off
> list ;-)

Mais oui.

Thanks,

--