HC to Rev conversion

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Wed Dec 31 13:08:16 EST 2008

Good morning Dale,
Two days ago I wrote with bad news (you would not be able to convert
your HC database to Rev and keep the stack metaphor). Today I may
have better news.
First let me say I'm with you regarding SQL. I regard it as a near
Medieval form of torture - the exact opposite of everything one loves
about HC!
But I don't believe you will need SQL. You probably don't need Rev
either (perhaps a dangerous statement on a "use-revolution" list).
I've looked at your website to get an idea of the data you are
storing. And I've looked at the code in the HyperSearch stack you
posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that, while
the volume of your data is significant, you are not manipulating it
extensively; there are no calculations (like one does with invoices)
or date math (like calendars and contact lists). It exists to find
files based on text strings they contains (or, in English: it helps
you find and read a document and that contains the words you want).
When you created the HC stack system there was no fast, easy, way of
doing this.
Today, if you are using a Mac (and, as a HyperCarder, you probably
are), you can do your searches with Spotlight (OS X 10.4, "Tiger", or
later). Spotlight indexes your entire HD (takes about an hour the
first time, then transparently keeps the index uptodate). Enter any
text in the little Spotlight window and it will give you a list of
all the files that contain that text, click on any file in the list
to open it.
You would not need to convert the files to HC, Rev, HTML, or anything
else. Spotlight recognizes most text formats - even reads text on
maps in PDF!
You could keep your current organization - except: what are now
stacks would be folders (with the same name you now use for the
stack) and the HC/Rev cards would simply be files in the folder.
Because you would not need to convert new information to HC/Rev/or
anything else, this system would be very easy to maintain (just put
new files in the proper folder). Because it is entirely text-based
(instead of a proprietary format like an HC or Rev stack) it should
be  durable - text will probably be readable by text readers for
another century.
On a modern Mac you would surely find searches with Spotlight to be
at least as fast as you are getting now.
I think Jan Schenkel has copyrighted this phrase but it fits and I'll
use it anyway "Hope this helps."
Paul Looney
PS Looks like you are going to have a sunny afternoon.