Andre's post: Rev and the Web...

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Dec 26 01:40:03 EST 2008

Randall,

Thanks to the magic of gmane, I was able to dig up this thread (and link to
the forum) which this seems based upon.

Andre's post:
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1612

It's a little bit of ancient history now, as Rev is moving forward on two
fronts. First we are definitely going to have a Web plugin. And second,
we're going to be stepping up the server scripting (which we've long had) so
that you can mix snippets of Rev code within your HTML.

We just sent out an announcement for RunRevLive.09, a conference we'll be
holding in Edinburgh this coming September. At this conference we'll be
officially launching Rev 4.0, which includes this technology. If you didn't
get this email, contact support @ runrev.com so you can get in on it. Not
only can they give you a coupon code [expires Dec 31] which will save you
60% off the conference admission, but you'll be able to download and use the
current development build of the plugin. The conference site is at:

http://runrevlive.com/09/index.htm

To answer your questions, Rev already has the commands you need to set up
the kind of multi-user system you want. The main improvements Rev 4.0 will
bring are on the distribution front (you can embed your stack in a web page,
instead of building a standalone executable), and on the implementation
front (being able to mix Rev code in with your HTML is easier than putting
up full CGIs). The specific answers to your questions will be in how you
decide to architect things. For example, whether cookies will suffice, or
whether you'll want to have some kind of database back-end to track things.
You can communicate between clients and server using anything from simple
URL parameters, to POST data, to direct TCP or UDP connections. It all
depends on what you're needs are, what your trying to do, and what you want
the user experience to be.

- Bill