[OT] If programming languages were religions...

Randall Lee Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Mon Dec 22 21:20:11 EST 2008

Richard,

I just don't think a language is significantly different because it
has more or less words than it had at one time.  What distinguishes a
language from other languages is structural, grammatical, syntactic.
Both spanish and english acquire new lexicon all the time... rarely
does this new vocabulary require a rewrite of the grammatical rules
that sit at each language's base.  Nobody looking at Rev's script
would ever say it wasn't an xtalk language.  Adding a load of new
words and functions doesn't change this, never will.  None of what I
am saying is an evaluation of Rev.  The reason both SuperCard and Rev
can make available hyperCard stack translators is because of this
structural kinship.  It is a badge of honor.  Every time a new domain
specific version of C comes out, i role my eyes and groan.  You can't
make a purse out of a sow's ear.  Garbage in – garbage out.  XTalk
heritage is a selling point!  Adding functionality on top... well
that is even better.  It matters what sits under and supports any new
functionality.

I am certainly not saying that xTalk is the end-all-be-all language.
The future holds promise (I hope).  What I am saying is that a
flexible natural language syntax leverages human cognition and
learned abilities... enabling a short learning curve and the ability
to concentrate on problem domain instead of tool domain.  Allan Kay
and Bill Atkinson understood and honored this premise.

I don't need to be sold on the positive attributes of Rev.  The
problems I have had with SuperCard have nothing to do with the
product.  I love supercard!  And nothing at all to do with its
development team (person).  The organization is too small for decent
product development funding.  And, (from what I have been told) the
product is owned by a group that does not own access to all of the
kernel upon which it is built.

Randall