[OT] If programming languages were religions...

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 05:43:19 EST 2008

I see Runtime Revolution as, in some way, resembling Hinduism:

A few core beliefs onto which many individual users and groups
have grafted extraneous beliefs that integrate with the core
ones to a lesser or greater extent.

Metacard is Advaita monism, having come out of Hypercard
(the Vedic religion); Supercard ties up with Jainism
(denying links with the mother religion).
HyperStudio and HyperNext resemble some of the cults cooked up by
misinformed westerners in that they superficially resemble
Hinduism, but underneath they are something quite different
(and, from my point of view, second-class goods).
Runtime Revolution ( Dvaita and/or Vishishtadvaita )
can now be used with a number of GUIs:
Saivism, Vaisnavism and Smarta Brahmanism.

This comparison is in no way to be taken to denigrate Hinduism;
it could, however, be taken as praise for Runtime Revolution :)

And, inevitably perhaps, the most sacred word (the bija mantra)
of Runtime Revolution has to be 'ROM'.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

PS. And if you think that is bad ask for my metaphor
using Christianity!

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.