Table field text formating

-= JB =- sundown at pacifier.com
Wed Dec 17 20:27:01 EST 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> -= JB =- wrote:
>
>> On Dec 17, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> ..
>>> If all you need is a one-pixel font, I'm sure there are plenty
>>> around.
>>>
>>> But perhaps we might ask why this is useful, and look one step
>>> further to the mechanics of the underlying text rendering in the
>>> field object to get exactly what we most want.  It may be that
>>> such  additions would become trivial once RunRev adds independent
>>> column  alignment to fields.
>>>
>>> Slogging through big blocks of text line by line and/or word by
>>> word, measuring each and adding/subtracting a number of special
>>> one- pixel characters can be quite slow, and not the sort of
>>> thing I  enjoy teaching to newcomers for simple text alignment.
>>>
>>> So hopefully instead we can just get the appearance we want just
>>> as  we want it at the moment it's rendered.  I doesn't hurt to
>>> ask. :)
>> Well if a 1 pixel character is so common then it would be
>> extremely  easy for
>> the Rev Team to include it and I would not have to add a font for it.
>> As for the usefulness it is unlimited.  Text can be positioned
>> where  you want
>> it not just aligned according to Left-Center-Right-Full.  The one
>> point space
>> would allow kerning.  The choice of alignment is important but
>> kerning it too.
>> Many people would never see a need for kerning but it needs to be
>> there for
>> those who who do want it.
>
> Done:  just set the imageSource of the character you want rendered
> as one pixel to an image with a width of one pixel.
>
> Let us know what you come up with using it.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  Revolution training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>  Webzine for Rev developers: http://www.revjournal.com

Using an image has been discussed before.  How would you like to use
an image
every time you wanted to add a space?  It would be a lot nicer to not
use an image
instead of a text character.

Look at it this way.  With the 1 character added Rev could advertise
it allows both
Kerning and Tracking.  To those in the publishing industry that means
a lot.  Now
they can advertise you can convert a character into an image every
time you need
to use tracking or kerning.

What do you think is going to help sell Rev better?  Look at how many
asked for
text improvement.  And since it is so simple it would be idiotic for
them not to add
it even if only a small percentage of people are interested in
serious desk top
publishing capabilities.

Kerning and Tracking are extremely important in quality desktop
publishing and
have been and still are important in almost every newspaper, magazine
etc. that
is printed.  People care about it but many are not aware of it.

-=>JB<=-