AW: How to zip a folder?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 17:30:23 EST 2008

Read these notes and see if this makes sense to yo

------
1) tar and zip it     tar -c -z -f MyApplication.tar.gz MyApplication.app
2) unzip it later     tar -xzf MyApplication.tar.gz
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user/114019/match=compres
s+folder+shell

on zCompressFolder fullPathFolder
  set the defaultfolder to fullPathFolder
--the defaultFolder is what the shell command considers the current dir

  put (the seconds & "_ORG.zip") into zipfolder
--set a unique file name

  put ("tar -c -z -f "& zipfolder &".tar.gz _ORGANIZATION") into cmd
--since there is no 'target folder' specified, tar considers the current dir

  put shell(cmd) into status
end zCompressRoot
--read the status variable to find any errors reported by tar
--duplicate file names and folder names do NOT produce errors

Jim Ault
Las Vegas