Show globals

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Dec 11 12:50:03 EST 2008

The big thing about globals for me, even more than their scope, is
their persistence. I can declare a global and check it's current value
in the message box without any script even running. They are the only
way to do environment variables, where the state of various things can
be maintained long term while the applications is "running" (an odd
concept in Revolution since nothing the user creates is actually
"running" most of the time.)

For that reason alone I rely heavily on globals. I would only use
script local variables for temporary variables that only need to live
while the script runs. For any serious application which makes heavy
use of variables, globals are almost the defacto storage medium. I can
see how it would be a real problem for a complex application to bog
down when debugging.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management