[ANN] [EN] [FR] Tutorial #27 by So Smart Software: How toselect objects using a selection rectangle built on-the-fly

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Aug 13 15:33:13 EDT 2008

One last (?) item regarding mouse polling I thought I'd toss out there is the fact that historically polling for the mouse state (down/up) was unreliable.  MetaCard would sometimes miss when the mouse state changed, which could wreak havok with scripts that relied on this state change to terminate.  I ran into this early on when switching from SuperCard to MetaCard, and it was then that Raney explained the use of mouseMove with mouseUp/Down handlers that set variable states, and specifically to avoid polling the mouse state.

Perhaps things are different now, but I guess fear of old behavior still makes me leary of using mouse state polling.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design