PRINTING IN RUNREV 2.9

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon Apr 28 08:44:23 EDT 2008

Leonardo,

> I don't know if anyone knows whether it is possible to print and entire
> scrolling field in Revolution 2.9.

Yes. I created a new stack, added a field, put the contents of a web page
into it, and used the command

revprintfield the name of fld 1

and it worked fine to produce a multi-page report. (2.9 on XP)

Peter,

> Yes, export it to a text file.  Then go out to shell and print it.  Use
> awk
> and printf if you need to format it.  If on Linux, or presumably on OSX
> too,
> you can just pipe the result of printf to a print driver.   It works, its
> quick, its easy.
>
> I have not been able to get revPrintField to work on Linux.  It does
> print,
> but the resulting page setup does not affect the layout or size and the
> field
> comes out truncated and with strange tab settings.

Just because something isn't working on Linux does not mean it's a problem
elsewhere or that people have to go through awk to make it work. I know
you've said several times you're going to file a bug report, but you've made
at least four posts on the topic already and there still isn't one. As
stated several times during the beta cycle, the engineers don't monitor the
use-list, and rely on the RQCC... the sooner you file a report, the more
likely it is to get addressed. Since work is already far along on the next
version, might I suggest filing this before another version goes by without
the printing support you need?

Joe,

> revShowPrintDialog does nothing. The Dialog that pops up using Answer
> Printer does not allow the selection of page size or orientation.
> Bummer!
>
> I did, once, see the correct Page Setup Dialog; don't know what I did
> but I was trying most everything under the sun.
>
> It's pretty obvious that the rev printing commands just do not work
> with 2.9. I'm pretty sure they did with 2.7.4; maybe 2.8.1 as well.

Did you read the recent newsletter article on printing and coding for 2.9?

http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/april/issue46/newsletter2.php?id=NW46S526933

There are flags you can set for choosing whether you receive the system
print dialog or Rev's. When I followed the steps above without specifying
any options at all, I was able to specify the paper size and orientation. I
received both a page setup dialog and a Print dialog. The page setup screen
allowed for direct setting of both those options. They were available via
the "Preferences" button on the Print dialog.

You may need to "set the systemPrintSelector to true" to see the Page Setup
dialog box you want. Don't forget there are tons of other print option
properties like printPaperSize and printPaperOrientation.

Printing is easy in the sense you can accomplish it with a single command.
It's complicated in that there are new commands, dozens of options, tons of
different print drivers, three platforms, and therefore countless
permutations. This is why it's essential if you find it's not working as
expected to read the newsletter article to make sure you're issuing the
proper commands, and file a bug report to correct any problems.

- Bill