Getting things the wrong way round . . .

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sat Apr 19 14:31:14 EDT 2008

> If we already have a Rev Enterprise license, will we order
> our renewals through Amazon or continue to renew through Run Rev?

You can renew through RR or through Mirye Online Store. It isnt always a
good thing to put upgrades into the channel. An upgrade "package" often has
a very short life span, then it just takes up space. That being said,
special promotions can be put into place. Where it really makes the most
difference is in the sales of new seats or units.

> If we can do either--and a the same cost, which is more
> beneficial to the folks at RunRev?  (See my comment about
> motivation behind continuing to do annual renewals even while
> use of Rev was/is dormant).

Id like to bring up an analogy - feeding kids fresh vegetables vs feeding
them a Big Mac. This is to explain a rather complex issue with channel
development.

Just like the calories consumed, either one is going to power the kid. RR
gets $$ in the publisher-developer relationship, and they also get $$ if you
buy from their online store. I can only trade on my good looks and
personality so far :-)

The Big Mac gives instant calories, which are always welcome to kids,
especially active ones that need to kick the soccer ball right now.

Building up a channel is like feeding fresh vegetables - its building
sustainability.

If sales are being passed through the channel, those channel partners take a
share. Those partners, in turn, know this is a winning product if they sell
enough of them. They then reorder more product, promote the product more,
validate it more. Instead of ordering 1 or 2 units, they order 10-20 units.
When a reseller interacts with their distributor's order system, they see
there are units in stock of something, they ask questions about it, etc, see
if there are any special promotion programs and the like.

Parallel to this, you make other marketing efforts that stoke up validation
of the product in the market. Increased validation plus increased
accessibility in the channel means you can take your business to the next
level. More conservative buyers buy. And you can sell more, new products to
these new conservative buyers.

If there is no channel growth, you can freshen things up - and you can also
improve conversions from those that already know about you and your product.
But there are limits to just how far that will take you. The ideal situation
is you have a plate that represents all food groups, with some sugar now +
the fresh veggies.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Mirye Software Publishing