a minor cosmetic annoyance

Peter Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:55:05 EDT 2008

Speaking of mousemove...

I don't know if anyone else is annoyed by this behavior.... When you
have an unlocked scrolling field and you move the cursor into it, it
changes to an ibeam. The problem for me is that it's an ibeam even if
you move the cursor over the scrollbar. I find it mildly troublesome
that when I want to drag or click on the scrollbar, the cursor is an
ibeam -- it really ought to be an arrow, since you are not about to
set down the insertion point. If you want to correct this, put the
script below suitably high in the message path (or into an individual
field, if you prefer not to have it as general behavior).

on mousemove
   if not (the target contains "field") then pass mousemove
   if not the vScrollbar of the target then pass mousemove
   if the locktext of the target then pass mousemove
   put the scrollbarwidth of the target into sw
   put the borderwidth of the target into bw
   add bw to sw
   if the mouseH <= (the right of the target) - sw then
     set the defaultcursor to iBeam
   else
     set the defaultcursor to arrow
   end if
end mousemove

on mouseleave
   set the defaultcursor to empty
end mouseleave

This works for vertical scrollbars -- you can do the same for
horizontal ones, with suitable changes in the script.

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com