File paths on a web server

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Apr 11 03:06:42 EDT 2008

Could you use AppleScript? That might get you out of the sandbox
where the CGI is running. What is probably stopping you is that
Apache typically is run by a different user than the current "logged
in" user, for security purposes.

tell application "System Events"
	set username to the current user's name
	return username
end tell

> Hi All,
>
> I've run into this problem before and solved it with Ken Ray's help,
> but now (with Leopard) the old solution doesn't work.
>
> I need to find the name of the current user on the web server
> computer. The cgi stacks need to be able to find a file in the current
> user's public folder, but I can't get to it if I don't know the name
> of the user. I've tried my previous solution using the shell command
> "who", but although "who" works fine in Terminal, it doesn't return
> anything when used in a CGI script. I've also tried "whoami" and even
> specialFolderPath().
>
> Any ideas? I can't use a different file arrangement because that isn't
> mine to control.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

---