help with profiles

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Fri Sep 21 06:49:59 EDT 2007

I'm having a tough time working with property profiles and could use
some advice.  Is there any way to prevent new profiles from being
created for an object - behind my back, so to speak?  For example
when I switch profiles, all that should happen is that the icons of
about 150 objects get changed, in this case to the same icon in a
different language. Also the menu items for about a dozen pop-up
menus get switched to the other language.  What happens is that if a
comletely unrelated  script calls for an object to move to a
different location or be hidden,  the rect and/or visible becomes a
new profile property, so when I switch profiles later, objects move
or are hidden when they shouldn't be.  So far as a workaround I have
created masks for objects that a script hides, so instead of hiding
the object, the script shows the mask instead, in effect "hiding" it.
This is fine with me. For objects that move, all I can do so far is
tweek the interface a little, making the movement unnecessary. This
changes my interface in small ways that really aren't my first
choice. The only other thing I can think of is to add lines and if-
thens to the script that switches the profiles, but this seems to
defeat the purpose of profiles in the first place.

I already knew that working with property profiles can be a little
bit tricky - the first time I tried to use profiles a couple of years
ago as a newbie, I sort of created a nightmare for myself - I had
added a single profile to quite a few objects while still designing
the interface, so as the interface took shape and I moved things
around, or hid them or changed sizes, etc, my objects suddenly had
dozens of profiles each and the profile switch took forever and did
dozens of things I didn't want it to. Back then I gave up on profiles.

I thought I had a handle on it now, but I guess I don't. For example
besides the two things I already mentioned, I noticed that the switch
took a little bit longer from Master to the second profile than from
the second back to Master and when I looked at the profiles, most of
the Master profiles suddenly had a layer profile - I guess I must
have changed a layer somewhere, which of course changed the layer of
every object in front of it. Now I am deleting the layer property
from dozens of profiles.  What am I missing that could have prevented
all of this? In preferences, the create profiles automatically is
unchecked, and I honestly have no idea what the "don't save settings
when switching profiles" even means.  Any tips?

Cheers,

Lars