Data synchronization

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 3 06:29:40 EDT 2007

On 3/9/07 1:22 PM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bart,

>> <snipped>
>>
>> In MS SQL they use GUID for this.
>> Ivan like this solution the most as I see :-)
>> So our first step then should be adding this field type into
>> Valentina.
>
> Can you explain GUID as datatype ? I am not familiar with it (well
> maybe I am but I want to make sure I understand what YOU mean by GUID )

This is a beast from the COM world.

MS have invent it to be able provide a unique ID for a COM class in the
scope of planet.

Exists special Generator, which use e.g. MAC address of computer and time
and it seems location of computer to generate GUID.

This guaranties that two client computer ALWAYS will generate unique ID for
a new record.

It looks as 16 bytes string.

>> These are "CONFLICTS". In the most hard cases human manual task  required,
>> like when we have conflicts workings with CVS.
>
> Yes, I agree here. This is some form of "error" where the engine
> should report the error and wait for user input before continuing.

> Or better yet, the records that are triggering the CONFLICT condition
> should be put into temp table which can be checked upon ending the
> routine.
>
> This way batch sync which may take a few hours are not blocked by a
> conflict

Yes, we thinking about TMP table copying of both conflict records.

And probably adding into Valentina Studio some GUI tool to resolve
conflicts.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin