Data synchronization

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 3 05:00:32 EDT 2007

On 3/9/07 11:41 AM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bart,

>> And here main question we have:
>>
>> Does laptops should have
>>     a) the whole snapshoot of server db ?
>>     b) or its part?
>>     c) or nothing at all?
>>
>> Case c) means that we need only one direction synch
>>             Client => Server
>>
>> Case a) means bi-direction synch
>>             Client <=> Server
>>
>> Case b) the same as a)  but also require way to specify some
>> FILTERs to load
>> from server only some PART of info.

> Very much B (sorry :-)). Even from a data security viewpoint alone  A
> would be unacceptable. There is no way that a database administrator
> would allow to sync a complete database (with maybe confidential
> data) when the outbound person would only need ie. a product catalog.

Yes, case B) is the most flexible and the most complex to implement.

> C is also the same as B when the client loads a filter that returns 0
> records

:-)  yes, but from implementation point of view,
    c) will be our first step. Because setup mechanism of filters
    (add/create/alter filter) require more job.

>> Actually we did develop HTTP access for Valentina server more than  year ago.
>> But it is not in game yet, because we did plan use it with XML  features and
>> they are still on hold.

> Do you mean here giving SOAP capabilities to Valentina (because
> that's probably in a few months on our plate) ?

SOAP is one of.

The most big idea was support of features similar to just added into MS SQL
2005 and Oracle in regard to XML.

MS and Oracle do things in different way. MS have very own way, Oracle have
put efforts on SQL standard committee, and have implement extension of SQL
2003 for SQL/XML support.

This should work in the next way (as we plan it for Valentina Server)
    * user connect to HTTP socket of VSERVER
    * send TEXT of SQL/XML query.
    * get back TEXT which is XML.

--
Best regards,