Data synchronization

Alex Shaw alex at harryscollar.com
Mon Sep 3 04:58:41 EDT 2007

Hi Ruslan

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> And here main question we have:
>
> Does laptops should have
>     a) the whole snapshoot of server db ?
>     b) or its part?
>     c) or nothing at all?
>
> Case c) means that we need only one direction synch
>             Client => Server
>
> Case a) means bi-direction synch
>             Client <=> Server
>
> Case b) the same as a)  but also require way to specify some FILTERs to load
> from server only some PART of info.

Because the laptops need to interact with the database offline, a whole
snapshot is stored on each (so, case a).

It's a hybrid content/document management system but currently images
and documents are not stored within the database itself, just local path
links. It also handles video files.

> We have upgrade from ADK to VDN option.
>
>> Maybe embedded Vserver is an option but your wiki is low on details on
>> what is involved to integrate into main rev application.
>
> Please ask specific questions on Valentina list,
> And I will try give you points to correct WIKI pages.

I have done a search on the wiki & it seems to indicate the embedded
server isn't quite embedded as I originally imagined. ie It is a
separate entity not a linkable library. Just like normal Vserver with a
few different options plus different license. Correct?

>> I prefer a customised HTTP server approach in which the main server
>> pushes and pulls information from connected client apps. This also
>> allows possibility of using third-party access in the future. eg.
>> limited web-browser access.
>
> Okay I see.
>
> Actually we did develop HTTP access for Valentina server more than year ago.
> But it is not in game yet, because we did plan use it with XML features and
> they are still on hold.

I see the customised rev server as a middleware-type application which
does all direct communication with client apps (I have more control over
what is and isn't served and also because users have different access
levels).

Possibly I could use a series of server comms eg. client talks to rev
management server which would do data-talk to local and/or remote Vserver.

But this depends on how you plan to implement off-line client to Vserver
synch. There are no entries in wiki on this. Can you possible give me an
idea of the type of API commands to be implemented?

regards
alex