DragDrop bug in WinXP?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Sep 2 22:31:46 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 16:43:20 -0500, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Now, dragdrop some files/folders and everything works fine. But try
> dragDropping 'My Documents' folder and it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Actually the problem is that the 'My Documents' folder you see on the
desktop really *isn't* the My Documents folder... it's just a pointer
to the actual folder, and it's really not even a shortcut (otherwise
you'd get a file with the .lnk extension).

If you were to locate the *true* My Documents folder (like mine's at
c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents) and drag and drop
*that* one, it works properly.

BTW: You get the same "non-result" with My Computer, My Network Places,
Internet Explorer (on the desktop), etc. and in all these cases, "the
keys of the dragData" is empty, so you don't know what they were
dragging.

Now you could *prevent* someone trying to drop these "non-result"
folders by changing the 'dragEnter' code to:

on dragEnter
  if the keys of the dragData is empty then
    set the acceptDrop to false
  else
    set the acceptDrop to true
  end if
end dragEnter

... but I don't see a way to determine that they're dragging the My
Documents pointer from the desktop into a field with just Rev (meaning
you could construct some other drag-drop window in another program that
can figure this out, and then launch and manage it from Rev).

Sorry,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com