Geometry in latest version of RunRev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 31 19:37:31 EDT 2007

Dave wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2007, at 03:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> The GM is good for what it does, but it can't anticipate all
>> possible combinations of object-ordering needs, and will fail in
>> some cases.
>>
>> Writing one's one geometry management is so simple that I never
>> understood why RunRev saddled themselves with writing 40k of GM
>> script just for a subset of needs.
>
> Well, if it's that useless and flawed why don't they just get rid of
> it? Seems like something a newbie would use and then end up in a
> panic cos all their objects disappear into outer space! At the very
> least it should come with a stern health warning!

It would be helpful if the docs for the GM noted its limitations, and
included some sample scripts on how to use the resizeStack message
directly if needed.

Dropping it may be a bit much, since a number of people rely on it for
relatively simple layouts, but deprecating it may be an option.

What sort of layout were you working on that riggered this "panic"?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal